Policy and Planning
Publications by Anthony Charles
(Click on Link to Download PDF File; Please Contact Dr.
Charles Directly if Link not Provided)
Shift to full chronological publication list
- Lane, D. E., S. Beigzadeh, T. O’Sullivan, F. Berkes, R. H. Moll, C. Kuziemsky, and A. Charles. A system model of collaborative community response to environmental emergencies. International Journal of Climate Change: Impacts and Responses (accepted, to appear). (2016).
- Bailey, M., B. Favaro, S. Otto, A. Charles, R. Devillers, A. Metaxas, P. Tyedmers, N. C. Ban, T. Mason, C. Hoover, T. J. Duck, L. Fanning, C. Milley, A. M. Cisneros-Montemayor, D. Pauly, W. W. L. Cheung, S. Cullis-Suzuki, L. Teh, and U.R. Sumaila. Canada at a crossroad: The imperative for realigning ocean policy with ocean science. Marine Policy 63:53-60. (2016).
- Ocean Management Research Network. OMRN Strategic and Action Plan (2003-2007). Ocean Management Research Network, Halifax, Canada. (2003).
- Ocean Management Research Network. A Retrospective Review: OMRN’s 2002 National Conference – Canada’s Oceans: Research, Management and the Human Dimension. Ocean Management Research Network, Halifax, Canada. [available on-line at www.omrn-rrgo.ca]. (2003).
- Charles, A. Presentation to the Standing Senate Committee on Fisheries Concerning Privatization and Quota Licensing for Canada’s Fisheries. Unpublished manuscript, Saint Mary’s University. Halifax, NS, Canada. (1998).
- Charles, A. Sustainable Coastal Fisheries: Policy Directions for Improved Resource Management. Manuscript prepared for the Independent World Commission on the Oceans, Geneva Switzerland. (1997).
- Charles, A., C. Amaratunga, T. Amaratunga, and A. F. Herrera. Marine and Coastal Research in Costa Rica: Current State and Policies for the Future. Publicaciones UNA, Heredia, Costa Rica, 81p. (In Spanish). (1996).
- Charles, A. Fish, people and institutions in the coastal zone: New directions for policy, management and research. A Brief presented to the Independent World Commission on the Oceans. Halifax, Canada. (1996).
- Cross M.L., Charles, A., and R.L. Mazany. Institutional dynamics and the regulation of fisheries. Paper presented at the Canadian Economics Association Meeting. Montreal, Quebec. (1995).
- Charles, A., R.L. Mazany, and M.L. Cross. Fisheries Regulation and the Incentives to Overfish, p.873-880. In: Proceedings of the 6th Conference of the International Institute for Fisheries Economics and Trade. (M. Antona, J. Catanzano, J.G. Sutinen, editors). IIFET/ ORSTOM, Paris, France. (1994).
- Charles, A. Sustainable Development of the Oceans: A Commentary on Agenda 21. Prepared for the Forum on Oceans and the United Nations Conference on Environment and Development, Dalhousie University and the International Development Research Centre. Halifax, Canada. (1993).
- Charles, A. Canadian fisheries: Paradigms and policy, p.3-26. In: Canadian Ocean Law and Policy. (D. VanderZwaag, editor). Butterworths, Markham. (1992).
- Charles, A. Fisheries Management and Development: A Policy and Strategic Assessment. International Centre for Ocean Development. Halifax, Canada. 99p. (1991).
- Bradfield, M., A. Charles, G. MacDonald, M. MacDonald, and R. Williams (Editors). Economic Democracy in Atlantic Canada: Proceedings of a Conference on Popular Participation and Development. Gorsebrook Research Institute. Halifax, Canada. 43p. (1990).
- Charles, A. Review of: ‘Co-operative management of local fisheries: New directions for improved management and community development’. Canadian Public Policy 16:111-112. (1990).
- Charles, A., M. L. Cross, and R. L. Mazany. Fisheries regulation and investment behaviour: A conceptual framework and its relevance to the Nova Scotia fishing industry, p.622-640. In: Proceedings of the Fourth Conference of the International Institute of Fisheries Economics and Trade. Esbjerg, Denmark. (1990).
- Charles, A., and C. Yang. A Decision Support Model for Coastal Fishery Planning: Optimal Capacity Expansion and Harvest Management, p.71-88. In: Operations Research & Management in Fishing. (A.J.M. Guimaraes Rodrigues, editor). Kluwer Academic Publishers. (1990).
- Charles, A. Investment in natural resource industries: Applications of operations research methods, p.303-317. In: Strategic Planning in Energy and Natural Resources. (B. Lev, J. Bloom, A. Gleit, F. Murphy and C. Shoemaker, editors). North-Holland. (1987).
- Charles, A. Cost/benefit Analysis and Fish Finding Technology, unpublished manuscript. Prepared for: Seminar on Fish Finding Technology, Technical University of Nova Scotia, Halifax, Canada. (1987).
- Margolick, M., A. Charles, and J.F. Helliwell. The value of information to electricity investment planners. University of British Columbia Programme in Natural Resource Economics, Resource Paper No. 70. (1981).
- Margolick, M., and A. Charles. Future electricity requirements in B.C.: A comparison of forecasts made by B.C. Hydro and the B.C. Ministry of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources. Society Promoting Environmental Conservation, Vancouver, Canada. (1980).